I have many models on the go, not that I want to have but that is how it is. All of these models stalled during construction or even at the painting stage. The reason for these models stalling is all down to me needing to find a better way of doing something and starting something else. So the number of models started but not finished grew. Even when I knew the way forward it has often been a problem to get on with them.
A case in point is this, the Revell 1/32 He 162. It was started as an "easy build mainly to have something else Luftwaffe with painted on markings. That was quite a number of years ago, before moving down here and I have been here since 2011! The reason that it stalled was because on half of one of the tail fins was the wrong half! It took a few years to be able to get a replacement but then this sat on my spray bench after I was ready to spray the primer coat, because of a couple of other, small issues, which I won't bore you with. Recently, last week, I finally primed it, whit as is the norm for me.I then ordered the paints that I needed from the MR paint range, along with others and I started to get some paint on it at last
The engine cowling is RLM 82 and the nose of that is RLM 04 and the rear exhaust cone black.
I figured that this might be an ideal opportunity to, finally, try the "hair spray" technique. I painted the exhaust cone first of all in Alclad 2 pale burnt metal, then applied the decanted Tresamme (firm hold), through my air brush. When dry, 5-10 mins, I over painted with the RLM 04 on the nose and "NATO black" on the exhaust cone. I let these dry not too long 15-20 mins and then tried applying water. This did nothing! but I kept applying it but started to use a wooden tooth pick to scratch at the paint surface. This started to scratch off a little of the paint, then the water seemed to want to do its stuff and rather than running off the surface it sort of felt more like it was reacting with the paint/hair spray. and I was able to use an old cut down brush to scrub at the paint. In the end the trick was to get a small scratch by being fairly brutal with the tooth pick and water, then extending the scratch with the brush. It was very much easier to achieve the effect seen on the exhaust cone. That on the nose seems a little more contrived but I think that is down to, seemingly, having to use the tooth pick more, and also more brutally.
Anyway I have learn't and I am reasonably happy with the way this looks. Next up the painting of the rest of the fuselage and wings, then the best part, the markings. They will include a painted unit badge